In this article, you will find out what are the best yoga poses to improve flexibility. Flexibility is an important component of physical fitness. Other forms of fitness training like cardio are important and because of that people usually forget the flexibility aspect of fitness. Due to ignorance, sometimes injuries arise which may limit the movement of muscles. Apart from physical fitness of flexibility, there are also a lot of mental health benefits. It has been proven that when you stretch, you relieve stress by releasing tension. As it is popularly said, if you let go of physical tension, you let go of the mental tension.
Statistically speaking, one of the most sought-after reasons to start yoga is improving flexibility. There are a number of asanas or poses that can help you achieve the flexibility you wish for.
Safety tips: When doing a yoga pose, avoid forcing yourself into any position or doing too much too quickly. This can increase your risk for injury. Listen to your body. If a pose starts to feel painful or too uncomfortable, release the pose right away. You may be able to only hold a pose for 10 or 20 seconds at first, and that’s just fine. As you gain flexibility, you can work toward holding the poses for longer. Talk to your doctor or a certified yoga teacher before starting yoga.
Here we bring you 12 asanas that have been proven to improve flexibility and mobility:-
1. Supta Padangusthasana (RECLINED HAND TO BIG TOE POSE)
There are a number of ways to perfect the Supta Padangusthasana pose (RECLINED HAND TO BIG TOE POSE). The best among them is to use a strap around the lifted leg to stretch it as much as possible. The steps to do this pose are as follows:
- Lay down on the floor/mat straight.
- Lift your right leg upward.
- From your right hand hold your right feet and stretch towards the floor.
- After five to ten breaths, repeat with the left leg.
This Yoga will help your leg muscles to flex.
2. Eye of the Needle Pose (Sucirandhrasana)
3. Downward Facing Dog (Adho Mukha Svanasana)
4. Crescent Lunge (Anjaneyasana)
5. Pyramid Pose (Parsvottanasana)
Also check: How To Increase Breast Size By Yoga & Stretching
6. Half Moon Pose (Ardha Chandrasana)
7. Garland Pose (Malasana)
8. Half Lord of the Fishes Pose (Ardha Matsyendrasana)
9. Cow Face Pose (Gomukhasana)
10. Head to knee (Janu Sirsasana)
11. Bow Pose (Dhanurasana)
12. Wide-angle seated forward Bend (Upavistha Konasana)
13. Plow Pose (Halasana)
All the Yoga for All the Flexibility
These poses are a good starting place but remember that it’s really the whole body and mind approach that makes yoga one of the most effective ways to improve your flexibility, as well as so many other aspects of your physical and mental health. The best yoga pose for flexibility is actually all the poses.
- 5 Things You Need to Start Practicing Yoga
- Yoga for Beginners at Home – To Boost Immunity and Health